Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Querencia


My home growing up was in Sunnyside, Washington. This small town, despite its problems, is still the place where I feel the safest and most comforted. I grew up surrounded by countless family and friends. Weekend barbeques and potlucks were commonplace and I was with the ones I loved the most. My parents and sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles, numerous cousins, and always friends fill up the memories of my childhood. My husband does not understand how this town can be such a safe harbor for me. When I feel depressed, sick, lonely, or full of self-pity, I long to go to Sunnyside, to my querencia. Even though most of my friends have scattered like the seeds from a freshly blown dandelion, much of my family still remains in Sunnyside and some of my fondest memories will always be of this place. by Megan Cuellar

No comments:

Post a Comment