Monday, November 1, 2010

How Hard Do We Push?


Our students have learned the routines of writer's workshop. They know the steps of the process, they understand what a mini-lesson is, and they also have now seen a rubric. I always see the second quarter as the time to "dig in " and get serious about writing in my classroom. I now know my students better and can gauge what they need as we move through writing time in class. Now comes the tough question for the teacher. How hard do we push?
Some students are ready to take off and find a quiet corner and start a short story. Others are still needing support every step of the way. Then there are the students that don't think they have a story to tell. "Nothing happens in my life." "I can't write about that. I just stay in my room". "I don't have anybody important in my family". It is more important than ever that we know our students. That is how we know how hard to push. Writing makes students vulnerable. Writing involves taking risks. Writing is hard.
We continue in November to coach, support, nudge, nurture, and praise. Every day we take it one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment